Need a new treat for your dog? Here is a dog friendly recipe that uses gelatin as the secret ingredient. Did you know that gelatin aids in digestion, helps with weight loss; improves hair, skin, nails; and strengthens bones and joints?
- 1 envelope Knox Original Unflavored Gelatin
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1 cup creamy, unsweetened peanut butter (preferably organic), at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1/2 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- Line and 8X8 inch baking pan with parchment paper or wax paper.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle the envelope of gelatin over 1/2 cup of the cold water and lightly stir. Let sit for a minute or two to soften.
- While the gelatin is sitting, combine the peanut butter with the maple syrup and the other 1/2 cup of water in a medium saucepan. Heat the mixture on the stove-top on low heat, stirring constantly until all ingredients are well-incorporated, and the mixture is smooth and very hot. Be careful not to burn the peanut butter.
- Pour the hot mixture into the bowl of gelatin. Stir vigorously for a few minutes until all ingredients are well-incorporated and very smooth.
- Thinly slice the banana, and place the slices along the bottom of the baking pan lined with parchment paper, leaving some space between each slice. Scatter the raspberries in between the banana slices (frozen raspberries do not need to be thawed)
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the fruit in the baking pan. Refrigerate for at least three hours until firm.
- Remove from the refrigerator. Place a plate over the top of the baking pan, and flip the pan upside down to unmold the treats.
- Remove the parchment paper, and slice the treats into approx. 1x1 inch pieces.
- Place in layers in a freezer safe container, with a layer of parchment paper or wax paper between each layer to prevent the treats from sticking together.
- Cover tightly and freeze until ready to serve
- Makes 42 treats
Recipe copied from dogster magazine article written by " Diana R Laverdure"