How Can I Benefit from Visiting
a Cat Friendly Practice?
Below are some specific ways in which cat owners can benefit from visiting a Cat Friendly Practice:
- They make an effort to have a calming environment.
- They have incorporated a waiting room/area that reduces stress associated with noise, other pets or unfamiliar smells (methods can include feline-only area, cat-only appointment times, going directly into the exam room, etc.).
- Staff are trained to understand the individualized needs of cats including feline specific behavior and facial features.
- They implement the Feline-Friendly Handling Guidelines to facilitate a more positive experience.
- They use a slow approach to achieve positive results.
- They develop an individual plan based on your cat's specific needs, preferences and behaviors.
- They implement ways to make you and your cat be as comfortable as possible.
- Staff continually obtain education on the most current feline research and guidelines.
- They will help ensure that you are a valuable member of your cat's healthcare team and help you understand your cat's needs and what you can do at home to ensure they get the care they need.
- Many use synthetic feline facial pheromones for a calming effect.
- Many have a feline-only examination room that provides a safe, non-threatening area where cats can be examined calmly and effectively.
- They have experience to recognize subtle, early signs of fear or anxiety and adapt appropriately.
- Their cat ward, hospitalization area and operating room have been assessed to include appropriate feline equipment, tools and procedures.
- Each practice also has at least one ‘Cat Advocate’ who is a knowledgeable professional that ensures your cat’s care is guided by feline-focused standards. Cat Advocates are chosen for their experience, understanding, empathetic manner and willingness to help answer any of your questions.